CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Word Aptly Spoken

We all speak words. We speak them all day, every day, verbally and in writing. In fact, you are silently hearing the words of my heart now. Have you ever stopped to think about the timing of the words you speak? Are you one of those folks who will think about your words before you speak them or are you one of those folks who has no filters and what comes up must come out?


I tend to think about my words before I speak them unless you touch upon a subject I am sensitive about. I then become the filterless person who says exactly what she is thinking. A friend texted me a verse for encouragement this morning which sparked a fire within me to write this post.

"A word aptly spopken is like apples of gold in settings of silver" Proverbs 25:11

Why in the world would this verse spark a fire within me? As the wife of a Pastor, I see how much prayer time and study time goes into preparing a sermon for Sunday morning worship.
Pastors devote an enormous amount of time to prayer and study on a daily basis to bring honor to God every day of his life, but most importantly, to his congretation when he stands before them.

Our pastor has been on an 8 week sabbatical and the pastoral and preaching responsibilities have been shared equally between my husband, who is the children's pastor, and our youth pastor. The past couple of Sundays have been challenging for my husband. He has arrived at Church on Sunday morning, excited to deliver the message God has put on his heart, only to be challenged by Satan when folks begin to pour out their burdens or angrily share with him their hearts over something that has happend. Please understand these folks are not wrong for wanting to express their opinions, however, are their words aptly spoken when they are spoken before their pastor delivers the message God has given him? No. Are we being self-indulgent to think of oursleves first and taking away from the work of the Holy Spirit when we approach our pastors this way on Sunday mornings? Yes. Can what we want to say wait until after the message has been delivered? Yes.

I would like to encourage you to to think about your heart and attitude the next time you attend church. If you have something you would like to share with your pastor, deny yourself and offer to pray with and for your pastor before he delivers the message.

I am the woman who picks your pastor up when Satan has tried to knock him down.

No comments:

Post a Comment